- RT @urltv: Where y’all wanna see us at next? @threeletterman3 @MickeyFactz @Jayblac1615 @Battle_Rap_News @RomeDMV @teldabarba @BattleRapSta…
- [ staff ] #SM7 is officially Sold Out. But you can still witness history by getting the PPV @… https://t.co/yLjSWzEoXi
- Battle Rap Is On Tour‼️ Meet Us In Vegas For The Biggest Event Of The Year.. SUMMER MADNESS 7 - Live On Pay Per Vie… https://t.co/JXzIR0Z3aL
- TY LAW VS FETTUCCINE 20 SMACK/ URL RAP BATTLE | URLTV https://t.co/H0AxgG1aJ4 SUMMER MADNESS 7 SAT AUGUST 11TH LIVE… https://t.co/G4qyk0Z4RV
- JOHN JOHN DA DON VS RUM NITTY RELEASE TRAILER | URLTV https://t.co/OMY6BhnFcy SUMMER MADNESS 7 SAT AUG 11TH LIVE ON… https://t.co/TZ4ajxVqDf
- DNA VS NU JERZEY TWORK - FACEOFF | CHAMPION - SMACK/URL https://t.co/RRgcL0LyBi ORDER YOUR LIVE PAY PER VIEW FOR SU… https://t.co/uk44tFUKc5
- BIG KANNON VS HOLMZIE DA GOD RELEASE TRAILER| URLTV https://t.co/CXi802om6I SUMMER MADNESS 7 SAT AUG 11TH LIVE ON P… https://t.co/14lKbxOuRa
- Nothing like watching your favorite battles on a quality TV, s/o @superscientific, he’s official with his Tech Blog… https://t.co/JoBmNAV6AH
AJC.com | Rapper Killer Mike Wanted to Run for Georgia State Representative
The Georgia General Assembly almost got a lot more interesting.
Killer Mike, a famous rapper best known for his involvement with the group Run the Jewels, announced Monday that he was running as a write-in candidate for representative of Georgia’s 55th district in the state legislature. However, he later posted on Instagram saying he couldn’t run since he never registered as a write-in candidate.
According to Georgia law, write-in votes are only counted in elections if the candidate has filed an official notice of his or her candidacy with the Secretary of State.
In Killer Mike’s original announcement, which was also made on the artist’s Instagram page, he asked that voters write in his real name, Michael Render, on ballots during Tuesday’s special election.
The 55th district seat was vacated in April after longtime politican and civil rights leader Rep. Tyrone Brooks pleaded guilty to tax fraud. In order to win the election, the Outkast collaborator would have had to defeat seven other democratic candidates — including Brooks’ son — who have been campaigning in Atlanta for months.
The announcement came in the wake of several politically charged talk show appearances by Render, including HBO’s “Real Time With Bill Maher” in May andCNN in December. An Atlanta-native, he has been a particularly outspoken advocate of criminal justice and prison reform, views that could have proved to be an obstacle for separating Render from the rest of the liberal pack.
Although write-in winners are rare, if Render had been able to use name recognition to his advantage, he may have been able to win what will likely be a low-turnout election.