- WHO YOU GOT? #SSDMV #ONEOFF_DMV R STREETZ @RaleighStreetz VS REEPAH RELL @reepahrell Get Famliar w/ their Batt… https://t.co/pTogrpYuBR
- WHO YOU GOT? #SSDMV #ONEOFF_DMV TY LAW @TyListenAnWatch VS FETTUCCINE 20 @Fettuccine20 Get Famliar w/ their Ba… https://t.co/p6fiLTTvsa
- WHO YOU GOT? #SSDMV #ONEOFF_DMV DRUGZ @QubanOTMT VS DOUGY Get Famliar w/ their Battles:… https://t.co/sh5zebzp7x
- RT @DNA_GTFOH: Me & @_kay_shine Are Back on ESPN Tomorrow At 12pm Eastern Time On The NFL Post Season Countdown Show Make Sure Y’all Tune I…
- 1PM!!! https://t.co/cxz9MdgVKd https://t.co/VjWAgbXn90
- WHO YOU GOT? #SSDMV #PGDMV YUNG GRIZ @YungGrizNES VS PROFIT @profit_van_gogh Get Famliar w/ their Battles:… https://t.co/neUtScpH8c
- WHO YOU GOT? #SSDMV #PGDMV DRUGZ @DRUGZdaBarBenda VS GWITTY @THESREALSWORLD1 Get Famliar w/ their Battles:… https://t.co/nhevJZVp3I
- ONE OFF’s + PG’s!!! TODAY 1PM 1401 Roseneath Rd Richmond VA 23230 https://t.co/cxz9McZklD
CC Sabathia Signs with Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports
[Courtesy of BleacherReport.com]
Roc Nation Sports added another major star to its lineup with the addition of CC Sabathia. The agency announced the New York Yankees starting pitcher as its newest client on Thursday, Jan. 16.
Welcome @CC_Sabathia to the @RocNation family! #RocNationSports pic.twitter.com/UIhtsdbOKe
— Roc Nation (@RocNation) January 17, 2014
According to ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Roc Nation Sports president Juan Perez said, “CC exemplifies everything Roc Nation looks for in an athlete and a partner.”
Headed up by Jay Z, Roc Nation boasts Geno Smith, Kevin Durant, Victor Cruz and Skylar Diggins as clients, and its sports influence is only growing. Roc Nation is the agency that negotiated Robinson Cano’s 10-year, $240 million contract with the Seattle Mariners.
According to HardballTalk’s D.J. Short, Sabathia was previously represented by Legacy Sports’ Brian Peters.
Roc Nation will have to wait before it has a chance to work out a deal for its newest client. Sabathia’s current contract runs through 2016, with a vesting option for 2017. He signed a one year-extension with the Yankees back in 2011.
Andy McCullough of The Star-Ledger breaks down exactly how much Sabathia will earn between now and 2016.
CC Sabathia, of course, will earn least $76 million through 2016 as he plays out his Yankees contract.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughSL) January 17, 2014
Since his status on the field is covered for the immediate future, Roc Nation can focus on turning the 33-year-old into an even bigger star off the field. As Rovell notes, Sabathia already has appeared in commercials for Pepsi and Subway, in addition to his endorsement deal with Jordan brand.
That could change in the future, as aligning himself with Jay Z will only increase Sabathia’s ability to pad his already comfortable yearly salary.
Signing a former Cy Young Award winner could also help recruit other stars and help build what is already a growing sports agency in Roc Nation Sports.