- DON'T SLEEP ON THIS ONE!!!! SNAKE EYEZ VS MACK MEL SMACK/ URL RAP BATTLE https://t.co/cObTHYLLaf HAVE YOU ORDERED S… https://t.co/3PrY11HaVb
- SON'T SLEEP ON THIS BATTLE IT'S FIRE!!! SNAKE EYEZ VS MACK MEL SMACK/ URL RAP BATTLE https://t.co/cObTHYLLaf ORDER… https://t.co/vslRT0MK11
- WATCH THIS BATTLE: https://t.co/woKnkNcD6K TELL US WHO WON? #SSDMV CRAIG LAMAR @CraigLamarBars VS HOLMZIE DA GOD… https://t.co/h4lw5tL7fF
- WATCH THIS BATTLE: https://t.co/TBqfkX19dc TELL US WHO WON? #PG #SSDMV REBEL @410Rebel VS JMORR (who has his soc… https://t.co/EYNRMM4ilB
- RT @belikeike_: F this Media shit, back to this history making card. Which battle you looking forward to the most?: ARSONAL VS HOLLOW DA D…
- AVE VS GEECHI GOTTI SMACK/ URL RAP BATTLE WATCH THE MOST IMPACTFUL BATTLE OF THE WEEK‼️ https://t.co/9puYGEEztx
- AVE VS GEECHI GOTTI SMACK/ URL RAP BATTLE https://t.co/cYWAQG3FvW SMACK/ URL VOL 2 SAT MARCH 31 ONLY ON PAY PER VIE… https://t.co/26qI4NCbj8
- RT @pepilapugh: Shouts out to @SMACKWHITE @Jayblac1615 & @Therealtech9 for showing love on their latest episode of #Champion it’s appreciat…
#ILLmaticXX Anniversary: 20 Years In Review
Queensbridge Houses are the largest housing projects on the North American continent. It sits along the East River just north of the Queensborough (59th Street) Bridge that connects Manhattan to Queens. Looking down from the bridge on the 96-unit, six-story project rooftops looks like a labyrinth of Y- shaped buildings that span across a small landscape. The projects, clothed with weathered brick, gleam in the sky’s foreground like peculiar urban pillars that are definitive reminders of inner city blight.
These same projects that raised numerous stars like MC Shan, Roxanne Shante’, Marly Marl, Craig G, Metta World Peace and Mobb Deep, also raised one of Hip Hop’s most celebrated MCs. Nas. When MC Shan wrote his battle lyrics during The Bridge Wars against KRS-One, he was unwittingly prophetic when he said this about Queensbridge MCs.
This is the place where stars are born
And we are only the ones that can’t be worn out
– MC Shan, The Bridge, 1985
On April 19, 1994, Hip Hop was delivered a gift. Unwrapped of its magnetic coated, plastic film, was a cassette tape that changed the course of East Coast Hip Hop. Illmatic, Nas’ debut album, released by Columbia Records, sold an underwhelming 59,000 copies in its first week. With barely a peep of recognition outside of the East Coast upon its release, Illmatic managed to become one of the most important albums in Hip Hop history.
© Copyright Eddie Savoy Bailey III, 2014
Written by: Eddie Bailey of The Savoy Media Group
Email: [email protected]